"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity"


~Plato

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Good, The Not So Good and The Unfinished..

Are you guys sick of hearing about the garden yet?
I promise after this post that I won't bug you for a while about it
...at least until the fall when we really get going.
But I wanted to show you how it all ties in with the Glass House.
Looking through the gates this is the main focal point....our little house made out of old windows that my sweet husband built for me.
Remember I told you all about it on my very first blog post.
Someone (me) really should clean that birdbath....I swear I fill it with fresh water everyday.
I'm afraid to bleach it because of the birds.
Maybe I should have it pressure cleaned.
Looking into the glass house.

This is coming around the corner off the back porch
The long term plan is to edge the walkways with landscape timber and to plant a border of flowers.
I made the little candle holders out of dollar store ivy bowls.....just twist two heavy wires around the lip to form a little basket top.
Then I just hung them on little shepard's hooks I had.

Side view of glass house




I hung this from one of the trees so that when we entertain
out there I just need to put a little table under it and it can become a drink station.

I found it in this really cute store in Georgia called Refind,
but I recently heard they had gone out of business...that's sad it was such a neat store.

I believe it's off an old lamp.
Just place a candle in there and it creates the prettiest glow




Now, here is where I tell you the Not So Good!
I've learned allot about Gardening lately and the number 1 thing I have learned is that
I know absolutely nothing about Gardening!!!

My Mother and I attended a Vegetable Garden Seminar a couple of weekends ago and as I sat there listening to these very knowledgeable Garden experts i was counting off in my head all the mistakes I made....OPPS!

Now is the time to tell you two of my major faults

1. I never research and plan out a project first...I am WAY to impatient for that.

2. I almost always choose form over function

So, therefore I am just now finding out that my hopes of harvesting beautiful heads of lettuce won't happen until sometime in the fall/winter. My cute little beds will have to sit partial empty until then. But that should give me plenty of time to re-till them and fill them with more compost...another mistake I made.


Until then...this lantern makes me happy. We found this in a great little antique store in Sea Island, Georgia...the same place that the gates came from.




This would be the gates....let's hope the vines I've planted
will cover up that ugly chain link fence very soon!




Can't have to many Fleur- de- lys in the garden




So there you have it!
Our little garden that is still far from finished.....but it's been a great lesson in patience for me.
The kids and I were ecstatic when we saw our first tomato on the vine.
And, I think that's how we will feel every time we notice something new.
So that's okay that it's not done, full to capacity and lush yet....
everyday we can look forward to a new garden surprise!
Be Sure and stop by to see Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday and look at all the wonderful things.....http://romantichome.blogspot.com/2010/07/show-and-tell-friday.html

15 comments:

Diane said...

LOvvvvve this little house and please don't stop posting about it. I havejoined up as a follower because I want to watch the cute things you do.Can't wait to see what you do to the walkway.

And nooooo, you can't have too many fleur de lis. I have them everywhere Ü

Princesa Nadie said...

Meet you has been a pleasure...I love your glass house!
Huggs

Linda said...

Just discovered your lovely blog and have really enjoyed my visit! The glass house is wonderful and I love how you are building your garden! It will evolve over time and you will constantly add to it! I look forward to reading more...I am a new follower!

Inspired by you said...

Absolutely beautiful glass house! It makes me feel so relaxed just looking at it.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Please don't stop posting about your beautiful garden. I love to see other peoples dreams come to life...your glass house is incredible.
Have a fun weekend!
Londen

Pearl Maple said...

Delightful garden full of charming spots to sit and enjoy the day, the glass house is just fantastic.

Love of the Sea said...

Wow - just stumbled across this post - I love this little place and the fact that your husband built it for you? Amazing. I will be spending time on your blog looking up more posts this wonderful little sanctuary.

The Robin and Sparrow said...

Okay, I hope you don't mind that I virtually spent some time in that amazing glass house! I added your design to my "someday" folder full of outdoor glass nooks. Thank you so much for the wonderful, beautiful, inspiration!
clare

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog....I really enjoyed looking through all of your creative and inspirational projects. You have a sweet and light hearted vision. I love the glass house. Thank you so much for sharing. See you in my store (Sunny's 2nd Chance) soon, I hope.
Blessings and love,
Sunny Marie

deborah said...

Your glass house and garden are beautiful and I think you should share about it!
stunning...
xoxo deborah

Anna said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I told my husband I wanted. He will do it...if he knows what is good for him, but I need to know what kind of supports your used for all those windows? Just wood studs? I can't tell.
'
TIA

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I told my husband I wanted. He will do it...if he knows what is good for him, but I need to know what kind of supports your used for all those windows? Just wood studs? I can't tell.
'
TIA

Rebekah Merritt said...

What vines did you plant to cover the chain link?

sharon hazen hall said...

I adore your glass house. My husband built me one too...only out of glass french doors...It is my favorite place. We put cable TV and a phone line out there. I think we are kindred spirits and have adorable husbands.

Related Posts with Thumbnails