"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity"


~Plato

Monday, January 10, 2011

The definition of Style

Style   
–noun

1. a particular kind, sort, or type, as with reference to form, appearance, or character
2. a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting:
3. a mode of living, as with respect to expense or display.
4. an elegant, fashionable, or luxurious mode of living: to live in style.
5. a mode of fashion, as in dress, esp. good or approved fashion; elegance; smartness.



I've been pouring over this book lately


it's a book on finding your inner French girl
and I have been trying to adapt these philosophies into
my everyday life

The words on page 75 really made me stop and think

What it takes to be poor
and
still live in style


Now i'm sure there are many ways in which
 you could interrupt those words. 
 But what I read is this...

you don't need money to live well

an old thrift store linen is as
precious as any fine Irish Linen that
you may pay dearly for

my chipped teacup is more beautiful
than any prestigious bone china pattern
I may wish for...had I the money

If you can take the things in your life....
even if it's the most mundane chore in your day
and make it special and beautiful
then you really are living with style

because living well
isn't how you spend your money it's
how you choose to live your life


My New Year's Resolution this year is to
buy fresh flowers for my house every week

They make me so happy...
and I truly feel that I am living well
when they grace my table.

And honestly the eight dollars I spend on them
is wiser than the eight dollars I would have
spent on a bag of chips and some Oreos


who knows maybe I will meet my other resolution of weight loss
without even trying....all thanks to beautiful bouquets of flowers.

Are you living well and in style? 

1 comment:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Hi Pineapple Room, I found your blog through 65th Ave. and just love it - I'm so glad Londen introduced me to you! What a beautiful post - photos and words. Look forward to catching up on some reading here....and visiting again. Have a great weekend! -Lisa

Related Posts with Thumbnails