"Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on simplicity"


~Plato

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

White, Soft and Ruffle-ey...a little girl's bedroom

Those 3 words are how
my 7 year old used to describe
the way she would like her
new room decorated...

White
Soft
Ruffle-ey

so here it is.....

 I apologize for the long post

This is a picture of before in case you missed it

And this is the new room....
Two very different styles don't you think

We started with this beautiful bed that I found
at a thrift store.  My thought was to paint it
white, but my little client was insistent that
we leave it the wood color...REALLY??
But I did what she asked


The duvet and shams are from
Simply Shabby Chic at Target
The rug, window curtains and
 throw on the bed are all from Ikea
And our big splurge...the one that got me into
a little trouble with sweet husband is the
bed skirt from Pottery Barn Kids...curse them
for having such cute stuff that I sometimes just can't resist.

This is the other side of her room...the reading area.
All her books are in the hutch from Bella Cottage
(remember I had bought this from a
 friend and it was in my living room)
The chair we slip covered and I just found a great
ottoman that I still need to make a slipcover for.
The butterfly mobile is also from Pottery Barn Kids...
and yes I was going to make it myself, but I
became very frustrated when I couldn't find the right
size butterfly punch...so I caved and just bought the thing

We hung an old window gate on the wall and hung
the picture I painted for her on it. 
The trunk/baskets hold the
 two million stuffed animals she has.

One of her other request was that she would
like a large round window hung on her wall...
for two reasons she told me...

#1.  so that she could see her reflection in it when she dances
(oh lord help me survive the teenage years)
and
#2. so she could pretend it was a
secret passage into a pretend world
(someone has been watching The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe way to often)


We've had the windows forever and never could
think of a place to put them.  After we hung
them sweet husband and I wished we had
thought of this ourselves and hung them in
our bedroom and added clock parts to it. 
She better watch out...when/if we move
those windows are gonna be up for grabs.


And last but not least she asked for pink flowers
on her nightstand.

I'm very pleased with the way her room turned out
and I feel certain that all her requirements were met!

White.....check
Soft.....check
Ruffle-ey....check check

Now I just need to distress the sign above her bed....
OH!!! A room is never really finished is it?

I'm linking up to
The Spring Fling
 at This Blessed Nest

this blessed nest

12 comments:

A Vintage Vine said...

Love those windows! Love the room! Great job!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Love, love, love it!! I want to maove into her beautiful, white, ruffley room!! Great, gorgeous job!! I hope she has lots of sweet dreams there!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Amy, you did a fantasic job! I want this room for myself! And the old windows are awesome!

Bring Pretty Back said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! You did such a GREAT job! I am in love with this room! I think the bedskirt was worth getting in trouble for! ( :
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Ali @ Honey and Maple Syrup said...

What an adorable room! Definitely something that will grow with her.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

What a great fluffy white room. Anyone would love to spend their days and nights in a room so lovely.
So glad I found your wonderful site from Kathy at Creative Home Expressions. I am now a new follower and looking forward to getting to know you
Maggie

Jessica said...

hopping over from This Blessed Nest. I LOVE this bedroom! You did a fantastic job! (I want it for myself!) :0)

You have a lovely blog!

Blessings,
Jessica

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous room! I love it. I really love the painting that you did.The room looks beautiful.

Kathy

The Pennington Point said...

Wow, what a change! I love everything about it. The round window, the picture on the gate, the ruffles....amazing. I'm so glad I found your blog. Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Your little client must be thrilled! Her new room is a beauty!
I'm visiting from The Spring Fling.
Cheers!
Theresa

nest of posies said...

that round window is amazing. those ruffles are wonderful! love the butterfly mobile. i'm glad to hear that you couldn't find the right size punch. i often thought about making one...but i too, think *sometimes* it just best to buy it.

i'm sure that little girl must feel like a princess!

thanks for linking up to the SPRING FLING!

happy weekend.
kellie

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful! I think my daughter would love this room and she's 24! The bedskirt was well worth the stink eye from hubby. I think you saved well in other areas and sometimes you just gotta go with the item that costs a few dollars more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails